Monday, April 21, 2014

EATS: Indian Guru

A while back, my family and I wanted to try something that we don't particularly like. Spicy food. We thought of going to an Indian restaurant for dinner, as spice is a trademark of Indian Cuisine. Not very far from our house is Indian Guru, a restaurant located in Vasastan, near Gustav Vasa Kyrka.

Me and my mom have a very negative relationship with spicy foods. My dad and sister on the other hand, love that kind of stuff.



We chose some papadam and aloo tikki as our starters. From my experience, I can describe papadam as a thin, flat, crispy sheet of goodness. I am a fan of salty foods, and the papadam was just that. It was served with a yogurt sauce with a hint of mango and mint blended into it. Unfortunately, the papadam was very oily when it got to our table, but that didn't hinder it's flavor. So far it was going great, I thought to myself.

Aloo tikki is a vegetarian dish mainly composed of potatoes. The faint taste of spice and coriander of the potato patties were accompanied by chutney. In comparison with the simple papadam, this to me ranks lower.

Papadam. (Ignore that glass of gin and tonic at the background)

For mains, my mom and I got the chicken tikka masala while my dad got the lamb khorma. Both were not spicy, which does not agree with the main reason on why we wanted to go to an Indian restaurant. The chicken tikka masala was very good. The chicken tasted like chicken (which is surprisingly very uncommon. I'm talking about you Chicken McNuggets) and the sauce brought life to it. My dad let me try the khorma, and it taste quite the same as the masala, but it's a bit sweeter and creamier. The cashews added more texture to the dish.

We had our main dishes with paneer and garlic naan bread.

(left to right) Chicken Tikka Masala and Lamb Khorma

Paneer naan is a thicker kind of bread, made out of cornflower and something called maida, with an application of cottage cheese and a little spreading of butter on top. The paneer naan was incredibly creamy, delightful and amazing. I told Shriya, one of the contributors of the blog that I have been hooked on this thing ever since. However, the garlic naan was only describable by three letters. Meh.

To conclude our dinner, we had some kulfi, Indian-style ice cream with bits of coconut, made with cardamom and surrounded by blobs of mango syrup. My initial reaction after having a spoonful of the kulfi was that it was canned. There's no way that the chef could design the ice cream like that if it's as hard as a rock. It basically tasted like sweetened water, regardless if with or without the mango blobs.

Kulfi

Overall, I had a very pleasant experience at Indian Guru, and I would be willing to try again with spicier food. Wish me luck that my tongue won't burn.

***
By liking the page, you will get the passwords to get the exclusive content on the blog, post updates and more! Like the page now!

More Amazing Stuff From Euan:

0 comments:

Post a Comment