Saturday, September 21, 2013

Vasa Museum & Aquaria Ocean Museum Stockholm


So we went to Stockholm city and Djurgårdsbron today to visit the Vasa Museum (Vasamuseet). The Vasa Museum displays an inact 17th century ship, the warship Vasa that sank on its first voyage in 1628. According to Wikipedia, this is the most visited museum in Scandinavia. 

So the admission rates were SEK 130 for adults, SEK 100 for students, and for children and teenagers 0 to 18 years, were free. The address of this attraction is Galarvarvsvagen 14, Stockholm. 

Upon paying for your ticket, you will cross a hall with sets of glass doors. After the third set, you will be welcomed by the ship itself. Take note that once you enter, you will be in the fourth floor. 

The Salvaged Vasa Ship

What amazes me once I saw the boat was it was excellently preserved. You may not see from the picture, but even the minor details of the boat seemed to be untouched, considering that the boat sank in the 1600's. 

There are lots of stuff you can see in the fourth floor, such as a presentation room where you can see how the Vasa ship sank and some models on how they re-constructed the ship itself. 

The second floor didn't have much to offer though. It just showed some mere pieces of planks, axes and stuff that they used to build the boat. There was also a replica of a smaller boat there. I supposed that this was a life/rescue boat... 



On the fifth floor, there was a theme that was introduced, and that was Life Onboard The Ship. It pretty much showed how the people interacted with each other, the form of currency they used and my personal favorite, the gun and cannon artillery. -

A Cannon From The Artillery 

The sixth floor had a theme of Power and Influences. This part of the museum particularly explained how the Roman Emperors influenced the Vasa ship and its people. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures from this floor. Whoops... 

The final floor was an observation deck, where you can clearly see the top and upper parts of the ship itself. I took a picture (below) which shows the view from the seventh floor. 


After this, we headed to the Vasa Museum's Restaurant / Cafe for a quick nibble. Yes, they have a cafe. Overall, I think that this is the most interesting museum I've been in. It was very informative and historic, and I recommend it to anyone. Rating? I'll give it a 8 out of 10. 

By the way, my stepdad told me that he visited the museum 10 years ago. When I asked on how was the museum then, he replied: 

"It's been ten years since I have last visited here. The crew was still restoring the actual ship. The ship was about seventy percent completed then." 

So after our magnificent trip here, my stepdad let us choose if we would rather go home early or go to another attraction. My mom, sister and I then said that we wanted to go to another attraction. We saw a post indicating that there was a Marine Aquarium Museum.

After a quick, five-ten minute walk, we stumbled upon Aquaria, the marine museum. Long story short, the place was divided into sections that resembled the wilderness and rain forests. My stepdad found it pathetic because of its space. I agree. A little bit more space and maybe an air-conditioning unit might do the trick. Rating? 4 out of 10. Funnest part of this attraction? The small, approximately twelve meter Sewage Area that was literally underground.

Me Inside The Manhole Leading To The "Sewage Area" of the Attraction 

On an ending note, I leave you this picture that I took whilst strolling across the fifth floor of the Vasa Museum. It was on the floor. 

Is There Some Kind Of Demonic Ritual Up In Here? 








0 comments:

Post a Comment